Surfer Leek Organic
115 days. Riding the wave from late summer to early fall, this healthy, robust leek produces strong, upright, uniform plants. Straight, clean white shanks are topped with blue-green leaves for an overall height of 14-16 inches. Shrugging off pressure from bacterial diseases, Surfer holds well in the field without bulbing. Resistant to purple blotch, white tip, rust and thrips.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Soil Temp. for Trans.||Plant Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per 1/2 gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|50-85°F||6-16||1/4-1/2"||45°F||4-5"||12-18"||70%||1 year||≈ 175||Medium|
Allium ampeloprasum Packed with vitamins K and A, this hearty member of the onion-family is superb in soups and stews, grilled, or sliced into slivers and added to omelets. Get creative with this versatile veggie!
Days to maturity are calculated from transplant date.
• Leeks are a frost-hardy cool season crop requiring a long growing period
• Best growth is achieved with fertile, well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0
• Plant in a trench 5 inches deep and wide, work in 1/2 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet
• Blanch to increase the length of white stem by gradually filling in the trench as the leeks grow
• Thin to the strongest plant when 4-5 inches
• Sow up to 10-12 seeds in a 4-6 inch pot
• If tops reach over 5 inches before transplant, cut to 3 inches
• When planting out carefully separate the seedlings and place in a shallow trench
• Fill trench around seedlings and water in well
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest anytime the leeks are 1/2 inch in diameter or larger
• Store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity