Scarlette Chinese Cabbage
70-75 days. Definitely different and absolutely stunning, Scarlette made an astonishing performance in our trial fields. With a vibrant, deep magenta-purple color and contrasting, white midribs and veins, this Chinese cabbage is a real show-stopper. Add to that a delicious, mild flavor, and you've got a sensational selection for the garden and kitchen. Try this as a replacement for radicchio in mixed salads for a brilliant color without the bitter flavor. Uniform plants grow to about 13 inches tall and 20 inches wide.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (2)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per 1/8 gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|45-75°F||2-15||1/4"||12-18"||1"||18-36"||75%||3 years||≈ 32-45||Medium|
Brassica rapa, Pekinensis Group: The virtues of Chinese cabbage include loads of soluble fiber, antioxidants, and almost negligible caloric content. Use this mildly-flavored veggie in stir-fries, as a stand-in for conventional cabbage, or fresh in salads.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Chinese cabbage is a cool season crop that performs best in spring and fall in a wide range of soil types
• Young plants exposed to temperature fluctuations can result in bolting
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• For a spring crop, sow after the danger of frost
• Fall crops can be sown July—mid-August
• For a spring crop, start 4-5 weeks before anticipated transplant date
• Fall crops can be started from June to mid-July and set out when there are 4-5 true leaves
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Flea and cucumber beetles, slugs, earwigs
• Insect control: Pyrethrin or row covers at planting, Cabbage Collars for slugs
• Disease prevention: 5-7 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest heads as soon as mature to avoid bolting
• Store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity
KEY TO CHINESE CABBAGE DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
F | Fusarium Wilt
PB | Clubroot