New Products for 2018
NEW! O. x hybrid We love ornamental oregano in hanging baskets and mixed containers and are very pleased to offer Kirigami from seed. This cultivar produces exceptionally dense mounds of fragrant, light green foliage tipped with drooping, hop-like flowers. The unusual texture and mix of green flowers that blush to purple/pink make for stunning displays all summer. Heat and drought tolerant plants reach 8-10 inches tall and spread 12-14 inches. Full sun and cool nights both encourage deeper purple coloration in the blooms. Germination code: (4)
Also available as a plant.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
Check the code at the end of the description for specific germination requirements.
(1) Germinates at temperatures between 60-75°F.
(2) Larger seeds need to be covered with soil at least as thick as the seed itself. May be slow and erratic to germinate.
(3) These seeds need a period of cold stratification for successful germination. Best results are obtained when the seeds are kept warm and moist for 2 weeks followed by temperatures of 33-35°F for 4-6 weeks or until germination starts.
(4) No special requirements, but germination may be slow and erratic.
• Fertile, well-drained soil provides the best results
• Harvest and fertilize regularly to encourage vegetative growth
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• For leafy herbs snip off flower buds as they appear
• Start seeds 6-8 weeks before anticipated transplant date
• Small seeds (thyme, savory, marjoram, oregano) can be gently pressed onto surface of the soil—don't cover or bury seed
• Fertilize with Age Old Grow every 10-14 days for optimum growth
• Small seedlings such as thyme, savory and sweet marjoram may be successfully transplanted in small clumps
• Hardy herbs can be transplanted after the last frost
• Transplant tender herbs after last frost when weather has stabilized
Harvest & Storage
• Fresh use: Harvest only as needed
• Drying: Harvest at peak maturity, hang small bunches from ceiling in a dry, warm (80-90°F), dark location with good ventilation for 1-2 weeks
• Distilling: Harvest when blooms are just beginning to appear; at this point the leaves contain the highest level of essential oils