Drunken Woman Frizzy Headed Lettuce Organic
55 days. While we won't even venture to hypothesize where the "drunken woman" part of the name comes from, the "frizzy headed" portion makes much more sense since this unique butterhead forms a single savoyed head. Robust 8 inch plants have mint green leaves that are tinged in mahogany red.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (5)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|40-80°F||2-15||1/8"||10-16"||1"||16-18"||80%||3 years||≈ 800||Low|
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Lettuce performs best in cool weather, 60-70°F, and grows in a wide range of soil types
• Plant as early as soil can be worked
• For extended harvest, plant every 2-3 weeks and choose heat tolerant varieties for summer
• Lettuce seed can be sown every month from February—October
• A cold frame and cold-hardy varieties can stretch the spring and fall growing season into the winter months
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 10 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• 1 gram of seed will sow 30 row feet
• Consistent, even watering is critical for best results
• Use row cover to improve germination and prevent soil crusting
• As soon as 2-3 true leaves have formed, thin loose-leaf types to 10-14 inches apart; icebergs, butterheads, and romaines to 12-16 inches apart
• Start indoors 4-6 weeks before anticipated transplant date
Insects & Diseases
• Common pests: Aphids and slugs
• Pest control: Strong spray of water for aphids or applications of Pyrethrin or AzaMax, baits, traps, or Cabbage Collars for slugs
Harvest & Storage
• While picking individual leaves helps extend the season somewhat, all eventually become bitter as they begin to bolt
What is pelleted seed?
Seed that has been coated with a clay-based material to form a larger, round shape. This makes planting by hand or mechanical seeder easier and allows for more controlled sowing of small seeds such as carrots or lettuce. All pelleted seed has a National Organic Program (NOP) approved coating.
KEY TO LETTUCE DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
BR | Bottom Rot
DM* | Downy Mildew
LD | Lettuce Drop
LMV* | Lettuce Mosaic Virus
Nr* | Lettuce Aphid
PM | Powdery Mildew
Rs | Corky Root
TBSV | Tomato Bushy Stunt Virus (Lettuce Dieback Complex)
* Numbers indicate specific disease race.