Dry Shelling Beans
Yin Yang Bean
75 days. Find harmony in your garden with the most zen of beans. The distinctive black and white pattern emblazoned on the dried bean is a remarkable, three-dimensional depiction of the familiar Chinese symbol. Serenely textured with a mild flavor similar to that of a Black Turtle bean, it adds a fascinating presentation to any dish. Compact bushes produce heavy harvests of young, delightfully tender, 6-7 inch green beans. Allow the pods to mature and dry for the dramatic two-toned bean.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per ounce||Fertilizer Needs|
|60-85°F||8-16||1"||4"||2-4"||18-36"||80%||2-3 years||Listed per variety||Low|
Phaseolus vulgaris Rich and flavorful beans are fiber-packed veggies that promote digestive health and are excellent sources of antioxidants that scavenge free radicals in the body. They are also nitrogen-fixing legumes; beans gather nitrogen from the air and load it into the soil to feed future crops.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Beans are shallow rooted and can require up to 1/4 inch of water a day during hot weather
• Optimum soil pH is 5.5-6.5, mildly acidic
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 10 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• Coat seed with inoculant to increase yields
• One ounce of seed sows 10-20 row feet
• Grow Pole, Runner, and Yard Long beans on trellises
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Mexican bean beetles, bean weevils, cucumber beetles, spider mites
• Insect control: Pyrethrin
• Common diseases: See chart below
• Disease prevention: Avoid wetting the foliage, remove plants at end of the year, 3-4 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• Days to maturity are for the fresh shell stage
• Shelling beans: Pick when fully formed but still soft and green
• Dry beans: Harvest mature beans before pods begin to shatter in the field
• If weather prevents field drying, pull plants and dry inside on a tarp, turning pile daily for even drying
• To thresh dry beans: When material is brittle dry, place material in bag and swing against a hard surface, or beat with a stick or rake on a tarp
• Make sure beans are fully dry, then store in a cool place
• Bean weevils may be eliminated by freezing the seed near 0°F for 2 weeks
KEY TO BEAN DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
A* | Anthracnose
BB | Bacterial Blight
BBS | Bacterial Brown Spot
BLS | Bacterial Leaf Spot
BMV | Bean Mosaic Virus
CTM | Curly Top Beet Mosaic Virus
DM | Downy Mildew
HB | Halo Blight
PM | Powdery Mildew
PMV | Pod Mottle Virus
R | Common Rust
* Numbers indicate specific disease race.