All Garlic & Shallots
Egyptian Walking Onion Organic
250 days. These true Egyptian topsetting onions are a smaller relative of the Catawissa onion. The topsets are a distinctive red color. A prolific producer of delicious green onions that you can harvest twice a year. Approximately 20-35 bulblets per ounce, but this can vary based on seasonal conditions.
Multiplier and Topsetting Onions are shipped only in the fall-late September or early October, depending on the season. Quantities are limited; order early for best availability.
PLEASE READ: Not available to Idaho or Canada.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
Egyptian onions, also known as tree or walking onions, are very hardy perennials. These fascinating onions form several small bulbs underground, plus they produce clusters of reddish hazelnut-sized bulblets at the top of each seed stalk. Normal flowers do not occur.
• Plant bulblets 5-6 inches apart, 1 inch deep, in rows spaced 12 inches apart
Insect & Diseases
• Common insects: Onion thrips and maggots
• Insect control: Neem oil or Predatory Nematodes
• Common diseases: Fusarium basal rot, pink root
• Disease prevention: 5-7 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• Once Egyptian onions have established themselves, you can harvest both the bulbs at the base of the plant and the bulblets at the top of the stems
• If left untended, you will understand the term "walking onion", as the onion stalks will bend down to the ground and take root by themselves
• In more severe climates, the bulbs should be stored and replanted in the spring
• Cure in a warm (75-80°F), shaded, well-ventilated location until outer skin and necks are dry, then trim tops, leaving one inch above the bulb
• Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area
• Check occasionally and immediately remove any sprouting or rotting onions