60 days. If you want higher yields in the same space as a standard beet, then the long, cylindrical roots of Cylindra are a perfect choice. The 6-7 inch long, bulky roots provide plenty of material for canning, roasting, or boiling. Smooth skin is quite easy to clean and peel while the shape of the root makes it easy to slice. The bold, earthy flavor made it a favorite in our trials.
Winter Growing Information
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (1)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|50-75°F||5-17||1/2"||3-4"||1"||12-16"||75%||2 years||≈ 30-75||Medium|
Beta vulgaris This wholesome vegetable is doubly heart-healthy. The sweet, delicious roots contain high levels of glycine betaine. This phytochemical compound fights platelet clots and plaque formation in the arteries. Along with a wealth of potassium, calcium and vitamin A, hearty beet greens are rich in fiber, which may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Beets perform best in fertile, evenly moist soils with a pH of 6.0-7.0
• Uniform soil moisture is essential
• Sudden changes in temperature or soil moisture will increase zoning (ring formation in the root) and lead to premature bolting
• Transplanting not recommended as it can damage the tap root
• At the bottom of the furrow band 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5-10 row feet
• Cover seeds with sifted compost, loose soil, or vermiculite and water evenly
• Use row cover when soil temperatures are cool and to protect from pests
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Leaf miners, flea beetles, and leaf hoppers
• Insect control: Pick off affected leaves and check for eggs—if found, spray with Azatrol
• Common diseases: Scab
• Disease prevention: Neutral pH (7.0), 3-4 year crop rotation, keep adequately watered
• Common pests: Mice, voles, and gophers
• Pest control: Traps or underground screens
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest when roots reach desired size; small roots are tender, large roots may become woody if left in the ground too long
• Leaves can be used as pot greens or in salads
• Trim tops and store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity
KEY TO BEET DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
BLS | Bacterial Leaf Spot
C | Cercospora