Cherry Belle Radish Conventional & Organic
22 days. Selected for top quality and yields, this cherry-red radish with a snow white interior has become the standard for salad gardens. Plant early, and these 3/4-1 inch round, crisp radishes will be the first ones to the table. An AAS winner.
Winter Growing Information
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (1)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|45-80°F||4-11||1/2"||1-2"||1/2"||8-12"||80%||4 years||≈ 80||Low|
Raphanus sativus Radishes are best sown in spring or late summer, maturing when days are shorter, sunlight weaker, and temperatures milder; though some varieties are better able to handle summer conditions. The mildly spicy roots, low in calories and rich in fiber and cancer-fighting antioxidants, have good qualities as a digestive tonic or to clear the sinuses and ease sore throats. Anti-microbial properties made them a detoxifier in traditional medicine, and couple with high vitamin C for an immune boost. Don't discard the tops, as they are even denser with nutrients.
Days to maturity calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Prepare the bed by working compost into the top 2-3 inches of soil
• Needs consistant soil moisture due to shallow root systems
• Dry or crowded conditions will slow growth and make roots hot or pithy
• The season may be extended from February through October by sowing in cold frames or using row covers
• For extended harvests plant every two weeks
• Direct sow spring through early-summer, resume again in the the fall
• Three grams will sow 7-8 row feet
• It is essential to thin promptly when they form 2 true leaves
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Flea beetles and Root maggots
• Insect control: Pyrethrin and row covers early in the season
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest while young before they split and become pithy, and remove tops before storing
• Let a few plants bolt and make a seed pod — green pods have a crunchy, mild radish flavor
• Store at 36°F and 100% relative humidity