Dry Shelling Beans
Cannellini Lingot Bean
85 days. A favorite staple in Italian cuisine, and a key ingredient in minestrone soup, this rich, meaty, white, kidney bean is delicious and satisfying when cooked. Our Cannellini Lingot variety produces delectable, hearty beans in 6-8 inch pods on bush-type plants that reach 22-26 inches tall.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per ounce||Fertilizer Needs|
|60-85°F||8-16||1"||4"||2-4"||18-36"||80%||2-3 years||Listed per variety||Low|
Phaseolus vulgaris Rich and flavorful beans are fiber-packed veggies that promote digestive health and are excellent sources of antioxidants that scavenge free radicals in the body. They are also nitrogen-fixing legumes; beans gather nitrogen from the air and load it into the soil to feed future crops.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Beans are shallow rooted and can require up to 1/4 inch of water a day during hot weather
• Optimum soil pH is 5.5-6.5, mildly acidic
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 10 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• Coat seed with inoculant to increase yields
• One ounce of seed sows 10-20 row feet
• Grow Pole, Runner, and Yard Long beans on trellises
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Mexican bean beetles, bean weevils, cucumber beetles, spider mites
• Insect control: Pyrethrin
• Common diseases: See chart below
• Disease prevention: Avoid wetting the foliage, remove plants at end of the year, 3-4 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• Days to maturity are for the fresh shell stage
• Shelling beans: Pick when fully formed but still soft and green
• Dry beans: Harvest mature beans before pods begin to shatter in the field
• If weather prevents field drying, pull plants and dry inside on a tarp, turning pile daily for even drying
• To thresh dry beans: When material is brittle dry, place material in bag and swing against a hard surface, or beat with a stick or rake on a tarp
• Make sure beans are fully dry, then store in a cool place
• Bean weevils may be eliminated by freezing the seed near 0°F for 2 weeks
KEY TO BEAN DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
A* | Anthracnose
BB | Bacterial Blight
BBS | Bacterial Brown Spot
BLS | Bacterial Leaf Spot
BMV | Bean Mosaic Virus
CTM | Curly Top Beet Mosaic Virus
DM | Downy Mildew
HB | Halo Blight
PM | Powdery Mildew
PMV | Pod Mottle Virus
R | Common Rust
* Numbers indicate specific disease race.