Bandit Leek Organic
120 days. Bandit is an improved open pollinated selection, boasting a thick shank with attractive dark blue green foliage. Minimal bulbing makes for a tidy, rail straight harvest and the very cold hardy plants resist splitting. Mulch well and possibly provide some coverage in northern gardens to enjoy a prolific stand of leeks in all their frost kissed sweetness, through winter and into spring.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Soil Temp. for Trans.||Plant Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per 1/2 gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|50-85°F||6-16||1/4-1/2"||45°F||4-5"||12-18"||70%||1 year||≈ 175||Medium|
Allium ampeloprasum Packed with vitamins K and A, this hearty member of the onion-family is superb in soups and stews, grilled, or sliced into slivers and added to omelets. Get creative with this versatile veggie!
Days to maturity are calculated from transplant date.
• Leeks are a frost-hardy cool season crop requiring a long growing period
• Best growth is achieved with fertile, well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0
• Plant in a trench 5 inches deep and wide, work in 1/2 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet
• Blanch to increase the length of white stem by gradually filling in the trench as the leeks grow
• Thin to the strongest plant when 4-5 inches
• Sow up to 10-12 seeds in a 4-6 inch pot
• If tops reach over 5 inches before transplant, cut to 3 inches
• When planting out carefully separate the seedlings and place in a shallow trench
• Fill trench around seedlings and water in well
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest anytime the leeks are 1/2 inch in diameter or larger
• Store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity