Onion & Leek Plants
85-90 days. Intermediate-day variety. A mild white onion with wonderfully thick rings. Thrives just about anywhere. A slice will overlap the edge of your burger bun! Resistant to pink root; best used fresh. The first day-neutral onion to win an AAS award.
Onion plants are shipped directly from the grower January through early May, according to where you live.
PLEASE READ: Not available to Hawaii, Idaho, or Canada.
Cases not available to AK.
To check the estimated ship date for your area click here
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
• Onions prefer light, sandy, loamy soils
• Plant your onions 4-6 weeks before the last estimated spring freeze
• Apply 1/4-1/2 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet, 1-2 inches below transplant
• Plant the onions 1 inch deep and no deeper, as this will inhibit their ability to bulb
• If you want the onions to grow to maturity, space them 4 inches apart
• If you prefer to harvest some earlier as green onions, space them 2 inches apart and pull every other onion during the growing season, leaving the rest to grow to maturity
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Onion thrips and maggots
• Insect control: Monterey B.t. or Neem oil
• Disease prevention: 5-7 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• As bulbs approach maturity, withhold water so protective paper can form
• After about half the tops have fallen, push over the remainder; wait about 1 week then harvest
• Cure in a warm (75-80°F), shaded, well-ventilated location until outer skin and necks are dry
• Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area
• Check occasionally and immediately remove any sprouting or rotting onions