- More Information
- Customer Reviews (1)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|45-75°F||6-21||1/2"||3-6"||1"||12"||65%||1 year||≈ 80||Low|
Spinacia oleracea The Northwest's favorable conditions for spinach production allow us to focus our selection criteria on flavor, vigor, and bolt and disease resistance. The highest-protein vegetable, leafy spinach greens boast an unmatched, synergistic complement of vitamins, minerals, flavonoids and carotenoids that when combined, protect eyesight, help prevent the buildup of cholesterol, and target cancer-causing free radicals.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Optimum soil pH range is 6.5-7.5
• Spinach grows best during cooler weather of early spring and fall
• Soil temperature above 80°F can cause erratic germination
• Bolting is caused by rising temperatures, day length and water stress; see specific varieties for bolt resistance
• Apply 1/2 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• For baby spinach sow 20-25 seeds per foot in a 2 inch wide furrow, in rows 6 inches apart, thin to 1 inch
• Sow July—August for a fall crop
• Sow late-August for an overwintering crop
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Spinach leaf miners
• Insect control: Spray eggs on underside of leaves with Neem oil or destroy any affected leaves and keep the surrounding area weeded
• Common diseases: See chart below
• Disease prevention: Plant in fertile soil and use a 3-4 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• For baby greens, harvest at 3-4 inches
• Individual leaves may be harvested anytime
• Store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity
KEY TO SPINACH DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
BM | Blue Mold
CMV | Cucumber Mosaic Virus
DM* | Downy Mildew
WR | White Rust
* Numbers indicate specific disease race.
Overall Rating: Write a Review
Aug 4, 2014 | By Alvin
So far I've only had 1 seed fully germinate from 8 planted. I have one almost broke ground but its only been 9 days. We shall see what the rest of them will do.