Claytonia perfoliata 42 days. This annual green is high in vitamin C, and native to many moist areas of the country. The leaves are rather heart-shaped, and provide a substantial addition to salads and sandwiches. Probably the most cold tolerant of the greens, Miner's Lettuce will grow year-round in the cloche, greenhouse, or even unprotected in the maritime Northwest. Quickly regrows after harvest.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Seeds per gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|50-70°F||2-15||1/4-1/2"||6-12"||1-2"||16-18"||Listed per variety||Low|
Savor the flavors that fill the kitchens of Europe. Fast and easy to grow, greens are excellent sources of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Enjoy them in soups, lightly steamed, or raw for a low calorie and highly nutritious part of your diet.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Gourmet greens perform best when planted in early spring or fall
• Most will tolerate light to moderate frosts with minimal cover
• Plants are most vigorous and the flavors are better when daytime air temperatures are between 60-70°F
• Most greens are best direct sown
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 10 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• Cover seeds with Reemay or Grow Guard 20 to help deter birds and improve germination
• Sow greens every couple of weeks to ensure a continuous supply of young plants
• Use row cover to improve germination and prevent soil crusting
• Thin as soon as 2-3 true leaves have formed
• Start indoors 4-6 weeks before anticipated transplant date
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Aphids and flea beetles
• Insect control: Strong spray of water, or applications of Pyrethrin or Neem oil
• Disease prevention: 3-4 year crop rotation, and proper plant spacing allows air circulation to prevent molds
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest greens frequently and when young
• As with all greens, a rinse in cold water will help preserve the flavor and texture