110 days. Javelin is uniform and high-yielding, producing slender, 8 inch, wedge-shaped roots that are smooth-skinned and easy to clean. Creamy ivory flesh is tasty and sweet, wonderful in winter stews or simply sliced and roasted with a touch of salt. HR: BC.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|55-75°F||15-28||1/2"||3-4"||1/2"||12-18"||65%||1 year||≈ 175||Low|
Pastinaca sativa This hearty, sweet vegetable is often overlooked by gardeners, yet it deserves a place in both spring and fall plantings. A rich source of copper, this trace element is said to support hemoglobin formation for healthy bones, blood vessels, and nerves.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Parsnips perform best in deeply worked, well-composted, loose soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0
• High nitrogen fertilizer or manure can cause roots to fork and become hairy
• Avoid compacting the soil as parsnips are deeply rooted
• Keep well watered through the growing season
• Dig a shallow furrow and lightly cover seed with soil, vermiculite or sifted compost
• Water evenly and regularly to prevent soil crusting
• Row cover beds when soil temperatures are cool and to help prevent soil crusting
• Thin when plants are 4 inches tall
• Savvy gardeners plant radish seed in the furrow with parsnips to help break the soil surface for slower-growing parsnips
• Sow mid-June—July for a fall/winter crop
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Carrot rust fly maggots
• Insect control: Reemay or Summer Insect Barrier, until tops are 3-4 inches tall
• Common diseases: Celery blight
• Disease prevention: Keep well watered and a 3-4 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• Flavor is enhanced after a couple of frosts
• Roots can be dug any time at maturity through winter as needed
• Protect from freezing with a weed-free straw mulch
• Store at 36°F and 95% humidity
KEY TO PARSNIP DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
BC | Black Canker