Grafted Vegetable Plants
Grafted Watermelon Plant-Sugar Baby
80 days. The standard of the icebox melons, Sugar Baby has been a staple at picnics for years. Vines grow to 6 feet and set 4-6 melons roughly 10 inches across. Has that unmistakable crisp, mouthwatering, sweet rich flavor. Terrific for home gardens.
PLEASE READ: Available only within the contiguous US.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
Grafted vegetables are created when the top part of one plant (the scion) is attached to the root system of a separate plant (the rootstock). The rootstock contributes vigor and disease resistance while the scion is chosen for fruit flavor and quality. Grafting has been used in agriculture for centuries to improve plant health and yield (fruit trees and grape vines are two familiar examples). Grafted vegetables are currently widespread in Asia and Europe among produce growers and are gaining popularity in the US, especially with organic farmers. Our plants are grafted by hand in a unique, carefully controlled environment using innovative methods recently developed here in Oregon.
Grafted vegetables help solve common garden problems. Vigorous rootstock enables more effective uptake of water and nutrients, and increases plants' resistance to pests or disease and tolerance to temperature extremes and drought. This allows commercial growers — and now home gardeners — to plant earlier and harvest longer. Healthier, stronger plants also mean greatly reduced pesticide use and more yield. With grafted tomato plants, even gardeners in challenging climates can enjoy ample harvests of America's favorite garden crop.
Grafted plants are drop-dead gorgeous
Statuesque, strong, and loaded with flowers and fruit, they remain beautifully healthy and disease-resistant when the same non-grafted varieties oftentimes struggle.
Benefits of Grafted plants over non-grafted plants
• Better quality crops and increased fruit production
• Increased water and nutrient uptake
• Extended harvests
• Increased disease resistance including resistance to early and late blight and blossom end rot in tomatoes
• Increased overall plant vigor
• Increased tolerance to environmental stresses (extremes in heat and cold, salinity, etc.)
Our plants are available individually in 2 1/4 inch pots! At Territorial you don't have to buy 6 plants of each variety. You can mix and match your plants just the way you want.
When you order our transplants, you will receive the same quality and selection that our customers have learned to expect at our retail store. For gardeners who are pressed for time or prefer to have Territorial start their plants, our selection of vegetables, flowers, and herbs is an easy and economical way to fill your garden with summer goodness. Plants are available individually. For the best shipping value, order any combination of 6 plants.
(A) Ships first half of April-Order Must Be Received By: March 1
(B) Ships last half of April-Order Must Be Received By: March 15
(C) Ships first half of May-Order Must Be Received By: April 1
(D) Ships last half of May-Order Must Be Received By: May 1
• We reserve the right to alter the shipping dates due to weather.
• Remember, plants are living things and don't always follow schedules!
• We do our best to ship strong, healthy plants right to your door on time.
Perfect Delivery Guarantee
• We guarantee your plants will arrive in perfect condition at the physical street address given on your order. Sorry, we cannot guarantee orders for which we are given an incorrect address.
• Plants are shipped Monday through Wednesday and arrive at your door Thursday or Friday of the same week. They are not scheduled for transit over a weekend.
Important Reminders When Ordering Plants From the Catalog
• Use the Plant Order Form located in the center of the catalog
• Choose a Ship Code
• Include a physical street address because plants are shipped Fedex
• Plants are available only within the contiguous US
Before shipping, each transplant is hardened-off in the crisp night air of our short season farm. When they arrive at your door, they're ready for your garden. One plant per pot.
Be sure to open your box immediately upon receipt
Upon opening the box you may notice that some of the plants appear wilted. This should not harm the plants. Water the pots and place them in a partially sunny location. If you can't plant them outside immediately, you may want to pot them into a larger container.
Because of the different growth rates of some of the varieties, you may see a difference in sizes.
Plants are shipped Monday through Wednesday and arrive at your door Thursday, Friday, or Saturday of the same week. If the box arrives after the weekend or is damaged, please call Customer Service immediately at: 800-626-0866.
If your shipment is not complete, please refer to your invoice for information regarding backorders or product that is sold out for the season.