Regiment Spinach Organic
37 days. Making the most of your spinach plantings, this robust and substantial variety produces thick, broad leaves from both spring and fall cultivation. Regiment's tolerance of cooler soils ensures strong germination and seedling performance in early spring, producing speedy crops of flavorful, dark green, arrowhead-shaped, semi-savoyed leaves. Late sowings yield excellent fall harvests. Slow to bolt. DM 1-7, 11, 13, 15.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|45-75°F||6-21||1/2"||3-6"||1"||12"||65%||1 year||≈ 80||Low|
Spinacia oleracea The Northwest's favorable conditions for spinach production allow us to focus our selection criteria on flavor, vigor, and bolt and disease resistance. The highest-protein vegetable, leafy spinach greens boast an unmatched, synergistic complement of vitamins, minerals, flavonoids and carotenoids that when combined, protect eyesight, help prevent the buildup of cholesterol, and target cancer-causing free radicals.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Optimum soil pH range is 6.5-7.5
• Spinach grows best during cooler weather of early spring and fall
• Soil temperature above 80°F can cause erratic germination
• Bolting is caused by rising temperatures, day length and water stress; see specific varieties for bolt resistance
• Apply 1/2 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• For baby spinach sow 20-25 seeds per foot in a 2 inch wide furrow, in rows 6 inches apart, thin to 1 inch
• Sow July—August for a fall crop
• Sow late-August for an overwintering crop
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Spinach leaf miners
• Insect control: Spray eggs on underside of leaves with Neem oil or destroy any affected leaves and keep the surrounding area weeded
• Common diseases: See chart below
• Disease prevention: Plant in fertile soil and use a 3-4 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• For baby greens, harvest at 3-4 inches
• Individual leaves may be harvested anytime
• Store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity
KEY TO SPINACH DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
BM | Blue Mold
CMV | Cucumber Mosaic Virus
DM* | Downy Mildew
WR | White Rust
* Numbers indicate specific disease race.