54 days. Millionaire's extra-early maturity and high productivity will make you feel like you've hit the jackpot. In our summer trials, Millionaire had ripe fruit before many of the other eggplant varieties were even flowering! The healthy, upright plants produce extraordinary harvests of deep purple, slender fruit, 8 inches long. This exquisite Japanese variety is tender and delicious with a minimal seed cavity.
Also available as a plant.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (3)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Soil Temp. for Trans.||Plant Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per 1/8 gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|75-90°F||5-17||1/4"||65-85°F||12-18"||2-3'||70%||2 years||≈ 25||High|
Solanum melongena Although the eggplant is a staple in cultures worldwide, this culinary oddity is ignored by far too many American gardeners and deserves a spot in the garden. Eggplants are remarkably versatile, taking on the flavor of whatever they are cooked with. They are very low in calories and fat, high in fiber, a good source of an assortment of minerals, and have a very low glycemic index.
Days to maturity are calculated from transplant date.
• Eggplants are heat-loving plants that require a long growing season
• Plants grow best in fertile, well-drained soil; raised beds and plastic mulch (black or silver) provide extra warmth in the spring
• Use row cover until first blooms appear
• Optimum growth occurs with day temp. of 80-90°F and night temp. of 70+°F
• Not recommended
• Sow indoors 8-10 weeks prior to anticipated transplant date
• When plants have their second set of true leaves, up-pot them into 3-4 inch pots, 1 per container
• Transplant hardened-off plants when night temperatures are above 50°F
• Use 1/2 cup TSC's Complete fertilizer and a shovelful of compost around each plant
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Flea beetles, aphids, and potato beetles
• Insect control: Pyrethrin and row covers
• Common diseases: Verticillium and Fusarium wilts
• Disease prevention: 3-4 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest when skin is still smooth and shiny
• Over mature fruit will be soft and seed will begin to darken
• Fruit can be held 7-10 days at 45-55°F and 90-95% humidity
KEY TO EGGPLANT DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
B | Bacterial Wilt
BO | Botrytis, Gray Mold