Beans - Organic
Midori Giant Bean Organic
70 days. Extra-early maturing, these delicious edamame are especially suited for shorter season gardens. We found that most of the pods formed 2-3 seeds each, rewarding gardeners with the highest quality, sweet, smooth textured beans. Vigorous plants reach up to 30 inches with a strong, well-branched habit. Buff colored seeds.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (1)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per ounce||Fertilizer Needs|
|65-85°F||7-10||1"||12-18"||4"||18-36"||80%||2-3 years||Listed per variety||Low|
Glycine max Soybeans have been a staple of the Asian diet since the 11th Century B.C. Edamame soybeans are much sweeter and more digestible than other soybeans. The isoflavones in soybeans have been shown to alleviate diabetes, reduce osteoporosis, and increase bone density. These compounds also help to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol while raising levels of HDL (good) cholesterol. Try them boiled and seasoned with a touch of sea salt for a delicious, satisfying snack.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Beans are shallow rooted and can require up to 1/4 inch of water a day during hot weather
• Optimum soil pH is 5.5-6.5, mildly acidic
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 10 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• Coat seed with inoculant to increase yields
• One ounce of seed plants 12-15 row feet, 1/2 pound for 100 row feet
• Grow Pole, Runner, and Yard Long beans on trellises
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Mexican bean beetles, bean weevils, cucumber beetles, spider mites
• Insect control: Pyrethrin
• Common diseases: See chart below
• Disease prevention: Avoid wetting the foliage, remove plants at end of the year, 3-4 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• Harvesting period is short, check often for mature pods
• Harvest when pods are plump and beans are almost touching each other in pod
• Once pods turn yellow, beans become starchy and lose their sweet, nutty flavor
KEY TO BEAN DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
A* | Anthracnose
BB | Bacterial Blight
BBS | Bacterial Brown Spot
BLS | Bacterial Leaf Spot
BMV | Bean Mosaic Virus
CTM | Curly Top Beet Mosaic Virus
DM | Downy Mildew
HB | Halo Blight
PM | Powdery Mildew
PMV | Pod Mottle Virus
R | Common Rust
* Numbers indicate specific disease race.