All Garlic & Shallots
French Shallot Bulbs Conventional & Organic
Once considered sacred by Persians and Egyptians, today French Shallots are popular with gourmets for the smooth, rich onion flavor they possess. Maturing in late summer, each bulb will have divided to produce a cluster of bulbs ready for fresh cooking, pickling, or making vinaigrette. Finely sliced, deep fried shallots are used as a condiment in Asian cuisine. Stores up to 6 months.
Shallots are shipped only in the fall-late September or early October, depending on the season. Quantities are limited; order early for best availability.
PLEASE READ: Not available to Idaho or Canada.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Bulb Spacing||Row Spacing||Bulbs per pound|
|6-8"||12"||15-30, unless otherwise noted|
Allium cepa, Aggregatum Group
• Shallots thrives in rich, well-drained soil with a pH between 6.0-7.0
• Work in 1 inch layer of compost, 1/2 cup of bone meal, 1/2 cup TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet
• When spring growth begins: water to keep the soil slightly moist, and fertilize with Age Old Grow or TSC's Complete fertilizer
• As harvest approaches: water less to avoid molding or staining
• Our shallot varieties are adapted to 36-55° latitude
• Plant the root ends down and cover with 1/2 inch of soil and mulch with clean straw or leaves to 4 inches
Harvest & Storage
• Bulbs are ready to harvest when leaves have turned yellow and fall over
• Standard yield for shallots is about 4-5 times the amount planted
• Cure shallots like onions: in a warm (75-80°F), shaded, well-ventilated location until outer skin and necks are dry
• Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area
• Check occasionally and immediately remove any sprouting or rotting shallots