El Dorado Swiss Chard
60-65 days. Combine the fleshy leaves, meaty stems and contrasting color of this elegant Swiss chard, and you've got a regal addition to your cool weather garden. El Dorado's dazzling golden yellow stalks stretch skyward, bearing its puckered leaves in an upright fountain of deep, glossy green foliage. Within a month from sowing, you can enjoy tender baby greens, or allow the plants to mature to about 16 inches tall. Exceptional bolt resistance.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Soil Temp for Germ.||Days to Emergence||Seed Depth||Thin Plants To||Seed Spacing||Row Spacing||Min. Germ.||Seed Life||Seeds per gram||Fertilizer Needs|
|50-75°F||5-17||1/2"||10-16"||2-3"||18-24"||75%||2 years||≈ 50||Medium|
Beta vulgaris, Cicla Group
Swiss chard is a vegetable that is in the same family as the common beet, however while the root of the beet is commonly eaten, it's the leaves of the Swiss chard that are consumed. Recent nutritional analysis has shown that Swiss chard is second only to spinach on the world's healthiest vegetable list. Packed with anthocyanins and fiber it's one of the most antioxidant rich foods as demonstrated in the vivid colors of the leaves.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Swiss chard grows best in cool weather, and overwinters in mild climates
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• Cover beds with row cover if temperatures are cool
• Sow mid-spring through summer
• Thin when plants reach a height of 3 inches
• Start indoors 3-4 weeks before anticipated transplant date
• Start June-July for transplanting July-August for a fall/winter crop
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Aphids, leaf miners, flea beetles, and leaf hoppers
• Insect control: Pick off affected leaves and check for eggs — spray with Azatrol or Neem oil
• Common diseases: Leaf spot
• Disease prevention: 3-4 year crop rotation, remove debris
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest leaves from the outside, taking care not to damage the growing point
• Store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity