Dutch Yellow Shallot Bulbs
These shallots are a real gourmet treat. They are high yielding and produce bulbs that are 1 1/2-2 inches in diameter when well grown. Dutch Yellow shallots have a yellow to cream flesh and a pungent flavor. One of their best qualities is that they store very well, better than other types of shallots.
Shallots are shipped only in the fall-late September or early October, depending on the season. Quantities are limited; order early for best availability.
PLEASE READ: Not available to Idaho or Canada.
- More Information
- Customer Reviews (0)
|Bulb Spacing||Row Spacing||Bulbs per pound|
|6-8"||12"||15-30, unless otherwise noted|
Allium cepa, Aggregatum Group
• Shallots thrives in rich, well-drained soil with a pH between 6.0-7.0
• Work in 1 inch layer of compost, 1/2 cup of bone meal, 1/2 cup TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet
• When spring growth begins: water to keep the soil slightly moist, and fertilize with Age Old Grow or TSC's Complete fertilizer
• As harvest approaches: water less to avoid molding or staining
• Our shallot varieties are adapted to 36-55° latitude
• Plant the root ends down and cover with 1/2 inch of soil and mulch with clean straw or leaves to 4 inches
Harvest & Storage
• Bulbs are ready to harvest when leaves have turned yellow and fall over
• Standard yield for shallots is about 4-5 times the amount planted
• Cure shallots like onions: in a warm (75-80°F), shaded, well-ventilated location until outer skin and necks are dry
• Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area
• Check occasionally and immediately remove any sprouting or rotting shallots